Global Public Health Communications Internship | Spring 2022
Global Public Health Internship | Social Media & Communications | Spring 2022
Duration: January - June, 15-20 hours per week [hours and days are flexible]
Application Deadline: December 30, 2021
About The Access Challenge
The Access Challenge is a New York-based organization that partners with political and cultural leaders to build African-centered mass-media campaigns and strategic advocacy programs to change health policy. We seek to influence policy to enable a world where the next generation of global citizens, our children, have equal access to the opportunities and services they need to thrive. Our dedicated team works strategically alongside leaders and influencers at the country, continental, and international level. By leveraging the power of the media to reach millions with life saving messages, we inspire multi-sectoral action in the fight to reduce child mortality, secure a healthy environment, cultivate global development partnerships, and unlock resources in the public and private sectors. Our flagship campaign focused on UHC is One by One: Target 2030 and operates on three levels: global convenings (UNGA, COP, AU Summits, Regional Meetings), political advocacy, and mass media campaigns. In response to the pandemic, we launched Target COVID-19, a pan-African, coalition-driven communications and advocacy campaign created with the African Union and Africa CDC. The campaign includes various mass media campaigns to mobilize influencers from all sectors to use their viral platforms to promote increased testing, vaccine uptake, and general COVID-19 prevention measures across Africa. Learn more at www.accesschallenge.org and www.onebyone2030.org.
We seek a student pursuing graphic design, multimedia, digital communications, or advertising to help design branded materials to reach an African and global health audience for both the organization and our campaign, One By One: Target 2030. The One by One: Target 2030 campaign operates on three levels: global convenings (UNGA, COP, AU Summits, Regional Meetings), political advocacy, and mass media behavior change campaigns in Africa. This individual would support the Communications Manager and CEO in creating several different types of external content for an international and various national communities. This includes maintaining and cultivating a brand identity online, through the website and on digital media channels for various audiences across the global health, health policy, and African communities. This individual should be eager to think outside of the box to leverage the position as an NYC-based organization reaching both the international global health community, as well as African leaders and community health workers in order to create change in universal health coverage perception and policy.
- Support for One By One: Target 2030 and COVID-19 Campaigns
- Provide support for the strategy and execution of the short term and long term campaign goals
- Help conduct research on and cultivate relationships with prospective campaign partners
- Designing outreach and event materials, toolkits and social media content
- Website development and maintenance
- Support for Political Advocacy Efforts
- Assist in drafting of health resolutions, specific policy recommendations to advance UHC in Africa
- Research health system progress in Africa and help identify political & governmental meetings and/or discussions
- Work with cross-cultural professionals who are passionate about advancing inclusive UHC
- Gain exposure to a range of disciplines and projects including research, editorial, digital media and social listening
- Strengthen your understanding of African politics, and behavioral change messaging through mass media platforms
- Opportunity to engage with global health partners, political figures, celebrity and micro-influencers and media houses
- Students majoring in communications, journalism, policy, politics, public health
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, reliable and creative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are required
- Experience and familiarity with digital advocacy and/or major social media platforms
Please note that this internship is unpaid. Our team will work with your university to award you credit for your experience.
To apply, please send your Resume, Cover Letter and a Writing Sample to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.